Coastal Modeling System (SMC) is part of the set of tools and documents developed within the R+D+i Project called ‘Spanish Beach Nourishment and Protection Manual’ (SBM). The main objectives of this Project, developed for the Spanish Environmental Agency by the University of Cantabria, were the following:
- To know coastal dynamics and the evolution of coastal systems,
- To establish a strategy in order to prevent coastal erosion and estimate flooding risks of low-lying Spanish littoral zones,
- To develop a methodology for the design, execution and monitoring of coastal projects,
- To develop a set of numerical tools which helps in the application of the established methodologies,
- To compile the Spanish experience in the coastal engineering field.
The structure of the documents and models developed within this Project are shown in the following figure.